Sunday, April 3, 2016

Tutoring Lesson 1

Objective:
Good readers can express their interests and read aloud so a listener can determine how they read.

Procedures:
Opening: Hi, my name is Ms. Helm. I’m going to be working with you on your reading and writing for the next couple of weeks. What is your name?

Purpose: Today I’m going to have you answer a few questions about what you’re interested in and read aloud to me so I can get to know you as a student and reader!

Activity 1: Interest inventory – I will read the questions aloud, student will write answers.

Activity 2: Spelling inventory – I will give student a blank piece of paper and a pencil. I will say the words from the spelling inventory; student will spell the best they can.

Activity 3: Read-Aloud – student can read from their own free reading book or they can choose from one of the books I bring with me. I will take notes as student reads

Activity 4: Write —If time allows, student will write about the section they just read to me.
 
 


Closure: Thank you for working with me today. I got a really good idea about you as a reader and a student and I can’t wait to help you throughout these next few weeks.


Reflection on Student Learning:
            My objective for my first lesson was “Good readers can express their interests and read aloud so a listener can determine how they read.” This lesson was fairly laid back since it was my first time meeting Margaret and she easily met the objective. The only thing I knew about her before this meeting was her Lexile reading number. The first thing we did was the interest inventory that would tell me what kinds of things she is interested in. Right away when Margaret started filling out the information, I could tell that she needs some work with sentence development. She answered many of them with one word answers even though they asked for explanations. Any places where she answered with a couple of words didn’t have complete sentences.
            After the interest inventory we did the spelling inventory. This really helped me see how she is at spelling and what patterns she most struggles with. After the spelling inventory we started read-aloud so I could just get an idea how she was reading. I could tell she was really dreading this. She started off really choppy but once she got comfortable she was actually pretty fluent. I have a feeling the fluency isn’t the part she struggles with so next time I want to ask her some questions to see how her comprehension is.

Reflection on Self:

            I’m not entirely sure why, but I was a little nervous before this first meeting. I think it was because I didn’t know anything about Margaret and I wanted to make sure she was getting the best experience possible. Once I realized that I couldn’t hurt her in these six sessions, I was able to relax and just enjoy the experience myself. Margaret was a little shy at first and I wondered how I would get her to open up to me. I was able to make her feel comfortable and by the end of this lesson she was engaged and seemed to be having fun. I am going to try to give her some quality support, even if it is only a little bit. If anything I hope to make her feel more comfortable and excited about reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment