Thursday, April 14, 2016

Tutoring Lesson 5

Objectives: 
Good readers can find the main idea and key details of a story to help them better comprehend what they are reading. Good readers know that spelling patterns are important for decoding words and they can sort words based on the common long vowel sound.

Procedures:
Opening and purpose: Today we are going to read a short story and work on finding the key details and main idea. It is important for us to know the most important parts of a story because it helps us better understand what we are reading. We are also going to do a word sort where you spell the words into their correct categories because knowing spelling patterns helps us better decode words.

Activity 1: Complete Running record
Activity 2: Blind word sort using the words we’ve been working on
Activity 3: Complete the Storms main idea worksheet with help – comprehension strategy: finding the main idea and key details
Activity 4: Student free-reads while I complete the two fluency rubrics. I will also write main idea comprehension questions for her to answer after she finishes a section of her book.

Assessment: I will use both the Storms worksheet and the blind word sort to assess achievement of objective.


Closure: Thank you for working with me today. Can you tell me why we did a word sort today? Why did we work on the Storms worksheet?

Reflection on Student

         This was another successful lesson for Margaret. She worked hard toward both of my objectives. We first did a running record. Her last one was too easy so for this second one I picked a harder text and I really got some good information about her fluency.
I am proud of how much of a trooper she has been since we have been working with the same spelling words every time I come. We did another blind sort with those same words so I could see if she had improved at all and she did a lot better. She still struggled with committing a word to each category, like she was afraid of being wrong. She also still had a few categories that she really struggled with putting those words in that category. We discussed these words and I asked her to put them in the correct category after we talked about them. I am sure that the more practice she has the better she will be able to sort them. 
          We did a storms worksheet much like the statue of liberty one we did a few lessons ago. She was given a main idea and had to go through to choose the key details that were important for that specific main idea. This time I did not help her through it and she did fabulous. She got all of them correct on the first try all by herself. 
          For the last part of the lesson I had Margaret free-read so that I could assess her fluency. For the NAEP rubric I put Margaret on the fourth level. Overall her fluency is pretty good. She phrases correctly and uses appropriate prosody. She repeats words sometimes, often when she reaches a word she doesn't know but it does not take away from her overall fluency. On the Multidimensional Scale I gave Margaret all 3's. While her fluency is good, she sometimes slips into monotone reading and messes up her phrasing. Her reading can be very uneven when she is in a particularly difficult section of a book. Overall, Margaret did a nice job today!

Reflection on Self
          I am feeling much more confident about one on one reading and the ability to plan for a struggling reader. It is easy to see that constant exposure and repetitiveness really helps students get a good grasp on concepts and skills that are needed for literacy. This lesson was an easy one for me to plan and carry out. It was some of the same activities I had done before to see if she had improved at all since our last few sessions. I felt accomplished when again, Margaret was able to tell me why we did the activities we did. I am excited that she has really started to get a good idea about long vowel sounds and that my word sort activities have helped her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment